Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I Should Be Doing Algebra....

Obviously procrastinating has got me nowhere real fast. I am not doing as well in my classes as I was last quarter. Algebra sucks a big one and I can't get over the fact that I have been in the "real world" for almost 7 years and cannot, for the life of me, recall a time I used algebra. Luckily my professor and I had a 1-on-1 and were able to clear alot of fogginess in my head.

So, last Tuesday I visited a local pub called the Fox and Hound. Oklahoma City has an interesting array of bars and pubs, but this one is special in it's own way. On the plus side: the eye candy is amazing. Go on Tuesday nights where all drafts are $2, and the guy:girl ratio is about 15:1. Yay! On the down side: read this letter I sent over to corporate.



"I have already addressed these issues with the MOD (Taylor or Tyler, not sure) at this location. The only reason I am writing this is because I am still angry about what transpired. I am a full-time student on top of working a full-time and part-time job. Tuesday night is the only night I have available for myself. I had never gone to Fox and Hound and decided to stop by with a friend of mine. We arrived and after changing tables (the first one we sat in was very wobbly), we were finally greeted by Reagan. We ordered drinks and took some time to look over the menu. My friend ordered a cheeseburger while I ordered the chicken tenders. After waiting for our food to arrive, we dug in. I had a couple of fries. I take my first bite of a chicken tender and there is a blonde hair half in my mouth and the other half stuck to the chicken. Keep in mind that I have black hair. As you can imagine, I was completely disgusted and stopped eating entirely. After watching the server stand by the bar and count her tips, I waited 10 minutes before I managed to call her over. I told her what happened and she asked if I wanted a replacement. At this point I just wanted something fast and I was already grossed out by the chicken tenders, so I wanted nothing to do with them. I order the loaded fries thinking that this would be a fast, harmless fix.

After about 20 minutes of waiting for my food, I walk up to the server and ask about my meal. I tell her that I have been waiting a very long time and that my friend is already done eating. She told me that there were 3 tickets ahead of mine. I asked her if this was standard because mine had been a send-back. She replied that it was. I asked her if she could check on it, and if it wasn't ready, I didn't want it anymore. I sat back down and not more than 2 minutes later she came back with the loaded fries. I was so upset that I had lost my appetite. I immediately asked her to pack it up for me since I had told her I didn't even want it. I tried to eat them the next day, but re-heated fries from the microwave are not appetizing. Straight to the trash they went.

I currently work for a state agency dealing with very difficult customers, and for 5 years before that, many of the jobs I held were in the food industry. I know what it is to be in her shoes, and I don't think I demand much. First of all, hair in food is COMPLETELY unacceptable, and for that, the least she could have done was to let the kitchen know that my replacement meal was top priority. I already waited my time for the first meal, I shouldn’t have to wait for everyone else to get their meal before I get a plate of fries (which most of the time are already made) and melted cheese (which takes no more than 5 minutes under a salamander). I waited to pay for my meal before I told the manager what happened. He gave me 2 free appetizer cards, but honestly, it’s not about the free food. I never cared about that in the first place. This is why I told the manager I would speak to him only after I had signed my receipt. And I still tipped her. For me it’s about the principle of good customer service. Of course, from the 2 hours of observation, I realized that maybe if I would have been a male like the good majority of the patrons were, I would have gotten excellent service from Reagan. On top of what happened, we had to order a drink twice because the first time, it was never made. We never got extra napkins. And my friend’s drink was cleared away without her asking if she was done with it. I, of course, felt bad, and ended up buying my friend another drink. I have had several instances of horrible customer service in my life, but I have to say, this one tops the list. Kudos to the manager, thumbs down to Reagan. If I ever decide to step foot in there again, I will make sure to avoid her like the plague."


Yeah.... you can stop gagging now.

'Till Next Time

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is complete BS and I am glad you stood up for yourself. Too many times waitresses have gotten away with this behavior because the patron will tip out of respect rather then services rendered.
~L~

The Endless Procrastinator said...

I agree. And the tip was for that reason, out of respect for a shitty job. But I felt like I wasn't done venting about it. I felt a million times better after I wrote the letter to HQ.